Hrafnhildur Arnardóttir aka Shoplifter
Born in Reykjavik, Iceland 1969
Lives and works in New York, USA
The Clocktower Gallery
Listasafn Íslands, Reykjavík, Iceland.
Charles Bank Gallery, New York, USA.
The Nordic Textile Award, Boras Textile Museum, Sweden.
Gray Area. DesignMarch, Icelandic Museum of Design and Applied Arts, Iceland.
BURN. Trolley Gallery, London, England.
Vanity Disorder. i8 Gallery, Reykjavik, Iceland.
Return of the Hairy Hunch, Dandruff Space, Brooklyn, New York, USA.
Shrine of my Vanity, part II, ATM Gallery, New York, USA.
Shrine of my Vanity, Hlemmur Gallery, Reykjavik, Iceland.
GROUP SHOWS AND OTHER PROJECTS (selected)
Campaign, group show and performance, curated by Amy Smith-Stewart, C24 Gallery, Chelsea NY, USA.
Performa , collaboration with Ragnar Kjartansson for his performance Bliss
Nordic House Reykjavik and Nordic Heritage Museum Looking back to find our future. Curator of the Nordic Fashion Biennial 2011, , Seattle USA.
Asymmetrical Hairdo for a Staricase, , Chiles Matar Gallery New York, USA.
Collective Noun, Faggionato Fine Art, London, UK.
Bowry Lane, Charles Bank Gallery, NY ,USA.
Postermat, The Hole Gallery, NY, USA
The Liverpool Biennial, City States, Contemporary Urban Center, Liverpool, UK.
Pseudonym Project, The Invisible Dog Gallery, Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Bubble Raft, Dorsch Gallery, Miami, Florida, USA.
Crone. Gavin Brown Enterprise, New York, USA.
Intervowen. Captial Fringe Festival,The Textile Museum. Washington D.C. USA.
The Brucennial 2010: Miseducation, New York, USA.
Another Circle, Jen deNike Collaboration, Harlem, New York, USA.
Celebration, The Museum Alex Mylona–Macedonian Museum of Contemporary Art, Athens, Greece.
Out Of Order, Edlin Gallery, New York, USA.
Squishy Universe, Rip Ions at Adjust Gallery, Miami Florida, USA.
Crossing the line, Alliance Francaise Art Festival at Macy’s 34th street, New York, USA. (window installation)
Evudætur, Artmuseum in Akureyri, Iceland.
Hydra Star, Artwalk-Hydra School Project 10, Greece.
aimez vous avec ferveur, Museum of Modern Art, installation commissioned by MoMA New York, USA. (a.v.a.f. and Shoplifter collaboration)
It’s not your fault, Luhring Augustine Gallery, New York, USA.
Spleen: The Flowers of Evil Still Bloom, Cueto Projects, New York, USA.
ME(N)TAL, Ileana Tounta Gallery, Athens Greece.
ID Lab, Reykjavik Art Museum, Iceland.
Art Whatever, Hydra School Project 9, Hydra, Greece,
PÍsland I, A. J. Art Foundation, Opatow, Poland, July-August 2008, (workshop and residency).
Absolutely Venomous Accurately Fallacious (Naturally Delicious). Deitch Projects LIC, Long Island City, USA. (collaboration project with a.v.a.f.)
Manuf(r)actured, Museum of Contemporary Craft, Portland, Oregon, USA.
ABC with Love, Art Metropole, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Hair, Skin and Bone, The Kitchen, New York, USA. (music and art performance in collaboration with composer Nico Muhly)
The Brucennial 2008, New York, USA.
The Fruit and Flower Deli Show, Artissima Art Fair, Torino, Italy.
Siamese Rapunzels: The longest live human hair braid in the world, Performance at the Deitch Art Parade. New York, USA. (performance)
Happy, Arnhem Mode Bienniale, Arnhem, Netherlands. (art installation)
Become our Egill of Iceland, Cueto Projects, New York, USA, (performance)
She was born to be my Unicorn, Amy Smith-Stewart Gallery, New York, USA.
I like to watch, The Canal Chapter, New York, USA.
The Perfect Man Show, White Columns, New York, USA.
Invasionistas, Sequences Festival, Kling og Bang Gallery, Reykjavik, Iceland.
Pakkhus Postulanna, The Reykjavik Art Museum-Hafnarhus, Reykjavik, Iceland.
Kamp K48, John Connelly Presents, New York, USA.
Volcana-Icelandic Panorama, Plug In Institute of Contemporary Art, Winnipeg, Canada.
Kamp K48, Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, San Francisco, USA.
Tívolí, Museum of Arnes, Hveragerði, Iceland.
K-2005, Röda Sten, Gothenburg Sweden.
K48 Animal, Agnes B Homme, New York, USA.
Dagskrá, Public, Paris, France.
Textile-Art, Reykjavík Art Museum-Kjarvalsstaðir, Iceland.
Works on Paper, Southfirst Gallery, New York, USA.
Woollenmaiden and friends, The Project, Dublin, Ireland.
Now Playing-K48, D’Amelio Terras, New York, USA.
Nýir tímar í íslenskri ljósmyndun/New Times in Icelandic Photography, Reykjavík Art Museum- Kjarvalsstaðir, Iceland.
Women 2003, Billboard Project, Copenhagen Denmark.
Shoplifter presents The European Touch of the Ghost Theater and The Knitted Aura. Gavin Brown Enterprise Gallery New York, USA. (performance in collaboration with Mark Leckey)
East of Hollywood- Reaction shot, 210two Gallery, Los Angeles, California, USA.
The Sheer Frost Orchestra, performance by Marina Rosenfeld. Whitney Museum, New York, USA.
Three, Blank (space), New York, USA.
Gather and Tell, Mexican Cultural Institute, New York, USA.
Fullveldi/Independence, Kópavogur Museum-Gerðarsafn, Kópavogur, Iceland.
Posers, White Columns, New York, USA.
Inventing Iceland, Articule Gallery, Montréal, Canada.
1994-96 MFA School of Visual Arts. New York, USA.
1989-93 BFA Icelandic College of Art and Crafts. Painting department. Reykjavík, Iceland.
HDK, Göteborg University, (lecture 2011)
Beckmans School of Art and Design, (lecture 2011)
The Swedish School of Textile, Boras , Sweden (lecture 2011)
Museum of Modern Art, Performance Workshop (2008-2011)
Iceland Academy of the Arts (lecture 2008)
Reykjavik Art Museum, Iceland (artist talk 2008)
“Happy” Arnhem Mode Bienniale, Arnhem School of the Arts, Netherlands. (lecture 2007)
Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia PA. USA. (visiting artist, lecture 2006),
University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada (lecture 2005)
Plug In Institute of Contemporary Art, Winnipeg, Canada (panel discussion 2005)
Iceland Academy of the Arts (teaching 2002)
Ross School, Long Island, USA 2003 (lecture)
Iceland Academy of the Arts (visiting artist 2001-2002)
HONORS AND AWARDS
Center for Icelandic Art, project grant, 2012
Prins Eugen Medal 2011, Award for artistic achievement from the Royal Crown and King of Sweden.
Nordic Textile Award 2011, Stiftelsens Fokus, Boras, Sweden.
Center for Icelandic Art, project grant, 2010
Muggur Project grant 2009 and 2010
Center for Icelandic Art, travel grant, 2008
The Visual artists' Stipend Fund of the Government of Iceland. Artist Salary Grant Award 2 years. Reykjavik, Iceland 2008.
Swingspace 2 month Studio Program, LMCC, New York, USA 2008.
The Visual artists' Stipend Fund of the Government of Iceland. Artist Salary Grant Award 6 months. Reykjavik, Iceland 2007.
Lower Manhattan Cultural Council, LMCC Studio Program, New York, USA. (sept06-may07)
Muggur Travel and Project grant 2004
Icelandic Ministry of Culture and Education. Travel grant 2003
Icelandic Ministry of Culture and Education. Travel grant 2002
American-Scandinavian Foundation. New York, USA. Cultural Award 2001
Icelandic Ministry of Culture and Education. Travel grant 2000
• Göteborgs Posten, Harkonstnr far pris, November 14th 2011
• Fréttablaðið, interview Iceland December 17 2011
• Boras Tidning, The Nordic Textile Award January 26 2011
• Morgunbladid/National Morning Newspaper of Iceland, Skapti Hallgrímsson interview, Með hár á heilanum, Sunday January 30th 2011
• Frettabladid, interview Iceland January 26th 2011
•The New York Observer, Simulations, review by Will Heinrich, January 4th 2011
• Interview Magazine Elisabeth Janoff, Good Witches, July 27th 2010
• Interview Magazine Katharine Zarrella, The World Wide Web, , July 19th 2010
• The Journal Magazine, Maciek Kobielski, Entry 29, 2010.
• Artnet Laura K. Jones. London Dispatch, October 2009.
• Whitehot Magazine Claire Shea. Hrafnhildur Arnardottir at Trolley Gallery” review, November 2009.
• Hair’em Scare’em Book by Robert Klanten, Matthew Huebner, and Sven Ehmann, 2009.
• Icelandic Art Today Book introducing 50 Icelandic Artists, published by Center of Icelandic art. Text by Ragna Sigurðardóttir.
• Rafskinna Magazine, Markus Thor Andrésson. Interview, Reflections Issue 3” ´Listamaður Blaðsins´special project and multiple August 2009
• Blend Magazine Joff Moolhuizen, Raven Battle, interview, Netherland/Belgium 2009
• New York Art Beat Isabel Kirsch. Wild and Woolly The Creative mind of Hrafnhildur Arnardottir interview, 2008.
• Manufractured by Steven Skov Holt and Mara Holt Skov, Chronicle Books San Francisco 2008.
• Morgunbladid/National Morning Newspaper of Iceland, Asgeir Ingvarsson. Í hár saman í MoMA, , Sunday June 22nd 2008.
• Reykjavik Art Museum, Oddný Eir Ævarsdóttir. P.S. Postilla catalogueIceland, 2008.
• Secret Identities Livraison Magazine, Sweden 2007-2008
• Project Iceland by Charlie Strand, Reykjavik, Iceland 2008.
• The New York Times Holland Cotter. The Creative Spirit, Strolling Through SoHo With Its Fringe Flying, Monday September 10th 2007.
• New York Daily News, Just call them the Braid-y Bunch Sunday September 9th 2007.
• Paper Magazine, Carol Lee. I like to watch-the Hairy Hunch, June, 2007.
• Capricious Magazine The Dance January 2007.
• Missbehave Magazine Mary HK Choi. Good Hair Interview January 2007.
• The Village Voice R.C.Baker. Best in Show, Beauties and Beastliness, New York, USA 18th August 2006.
• Time Out New York, Les Simpson. Kamp K48 art review, USA, 24-30 August 2006.
• Artforum Michael Wang. Pitching Tents, online, 10. August 2006.
• Relax Magazine Tomoko Yano. Shoplifter, a magical hair artist in New York. interview Japan, August 2006.
• Malid Morgunbladid/National Morning Newspaper of
Iceland Hanna Bjork Valsdóttir. Hrafnhildur Arnardottir aka Shoplifter interview, , December 15th 2005.
• The Globe and Mail Robert Enright. Getting past Bjork, , Canada, December 7th 2005.
• Winnipeg Free Press Lorne Roberts. Subdued Icelandic exhibit speaks volumes, , November 24th 2005.
• Plug In Institute of Contemporary Art Volcana-Icelandic Panorama. Catalogue., Winnipeg, Canada 2005.
• Röda Sten K-2005. Catalogue., Gothenburg Sweden 2005.
• The New York Times William Van Meter, Head Case, , T: Style magazine, February 20th 2005.
• Iceland Review Anna Sussman. Icelanders in New York interview, 2-2005, Reykjavik, Iceland.
• Fókus Hrafnhildur og hárpervertisminn, 12th November 2004 Iceland.
• Another Magazine Björk. Shoplifter September issue 2004.
• K48 Magazine-The Animal Issue Shoplifter presents The Brotherhood of the Beasts. 2004
• Ryuku-Tsushin Shoplifter at ATM.. Japan 2003.
• K48 Magazine-The Kult Issue Shoplifter presents The Knitted Aura 2003
• Morgunbladid/National Morning Newspaper of Iceland Jón B.K. Ransu. Ljósmyndun samtímans review, , Lesbok June 28th
• Morgunbladid/National Morning Newspaper of Iceland Ragna Sigurdardóttir The Depth of Vanity review December 5th 2002.
• Mexican Cultural Institute Gather and Tell. Catalogue, , New York, 2001.
• Art in America Gregory Volk. Report from Reykjavík, Art on Ice. New York. September 2001. p. 40-45..
• The New York Times William Maxwell.. The City. From Iceland to the Brooklyn Art Scene, It’s Gen. Ice-X. NY Sunday November 116th 1997